Skip to main content

Mixed Media Part 1

 As I have mentioned in several posts, I have been experimenting with using other media to either integrate into the leather projects or just to work with alone, and I've had some pretty interesting results.

In this part, we will be talking about tumbling. Not gymnastics, but tumbling media, like rocks and glass for example. Both of which I have done, both with great results, i'm trying to figure out a way to work it into my leatherwork, but I will, or I will have some pretty smooth stones and glass to sell later.  Although I do spend a lot of time on a leather projects, the time is spent busy, and I don't usually notice if 3-4 hours go by at a time, with tumbling, it's a "set and forget it" system. Only I don't forget it, I keep wondering how they are looking now. I think a transparent thick rubber container to replace the black ones would help, but it's actually a great lesson in patience.

Untumbled Fire Agate

Patience is not my greatest virtue, by far.  I started experimenting with other media to break up the day in between projects or sections of a project (hand sewing can make your hands tired and thus, breaks are needed.  It's almost reversed now.  I have a tumbler project going, and usually end up working on leather to get to a certain section so I can check the timer or actually check the physical tumbler.  It is a constant reminder of how great things take time and care to get done right, to make them beautiful.  This directly correlates with a leather project, time and care make the piece.

As a firm believer in "we learn something new everyday" I have found in my early days of tumbling, I was very misinformed about the process.  After a lot of wiki articles and trial and error, I found a process, and most importantly, a way to track my progress with each item being tumbled.  It's important to set measurable goals. Rocks will have non-smooth edges? Throw them back in on the same grit you just did them in, repeat for like status progression during each stage.  Goals must be measurable and attainable, or you have to go back and do some more work.  Actually, it's kind of deep.

As far as what I've tumbled, pretty much anything that I thought would look cool, or even some tools that needed restoration (maybe series on that in the future?). I've found that the longer the wait, the greater the reward, even if at the time it doesn't seem like much progress, so long as there is progress.


-James

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Items!

 There will soon be some new items hitting the store, and the best part is, with these, there won't be any manufacturing\fabrication time! These items will be one offs that I made and selling as I create them. These items will start with One Off in the title so that you can tell, but it will be in the description as well.